New Vortex Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Secondary mode for all weapons

3 posters

Go down

Secondary mode for all weapons Empty Secondary mode for all weapons

Post  apple Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:10 pm

So, the way it is right now, it's limited to certain weapons, and most of them don't even make sense (like charged blaster shot which is just a shitty sniper mode). It would be more interesting if some of the crappy secondary modes were redesigned, and new secondary modes were added for every weapon, but restrict them to the weapon master class. This would also justify making more useful secondary modes.

On the other hand, a weapon master could simply have additional effects or bonuses on their weapons (aside from like +X damage or +Y refire), while everyone has access to secondary modes on the weapons. I don't think any build in particular has dependence on a secondary firing mode, save for detpipes which are used to booby trap people (which was excessively nerfed anyway).

A few suggestions that could work as secondary modes:

1. blaster - discharge: instead of charging for a single random damage shot, charging it would increase the number of shots to be fired in rapid succession. The charging process would be similar to the lucifer cannon in tremulous, it would take away ammo in a similar manner. Things to keep in mind would probably be not making it bounce, and of course stun would probably have to be removed.

2. handgrenade - introduce short fuse mode, somewhere between 2-3 seconds, keep the momentum buildup the same so you get overall less range from using this mode

3. detpipes - remove restrictions on detpipes, they are stupid crutches when all you really need to do is maybe add a small delay (0.2-0.5 secs) if they are triggered midair, or possibly just reduce radius on detpipes so they're always default.

4. chaingun - extra damage mode is kinda boring

5. rocket launcher - team fortress direct hit rockets, travel faster and do more damage but have much less radius

6. BFG - have sticky and slide bfg balls on different modes.

7. Railgun - bouncy railgun?! would replace snipe mode, still has more damage potential if you can hit a single target with multiple bounces, would need to be offset somehow of course (ammo cost, less dmg whatever)

Just figured secondary mode has more potential to be explored.

apple

Back to top Go down

Secondary mode for all weapons Empty Re: Secondary mode for all weapons

Post  Grape Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:52 am

apple wrote:So, the way it is right now, it's limited to certain weapons, and most of them don't even make sense (like charged blaster shot which is just a shitty sniper mode). It would be more interesting if some of the crappy secondary modes were redesigned, and new secondary modes were added for every weapon, but restrict them to the weapon master class. This would also justify making more useful secondary modes.

On the other hand, a weapon master could simply have additional effects or bonuses on their weapons (aside from like +X damage or +Y refire), while everyone has access to secondary modes on the weapons. I don't think any build in particular has dependence on a secondary firing mode, save for detpipes which are used to booby trap people (which was excessively nerfed anyway).

A few suggestions that could work as secondary modes:

1. blaster - discharge: instead of charging for a single random damage shot, charging it would increase the number of shots to be fired in rapid succession. The charging process would be similar to the lucifer cannon in tremulous, it would take away ammo in a similar manner. Things to keep in mind would probably be not making it bounce, and of course stun would probably have to be removed.

2. handgrenade - introduce short fuse mode, somewhere between 2-3 seconds, keep the momentum buildup the same so you get overall less range from using this mode

3. detpipes - remove restrictions on detpipes, they are stupid crutches when all you really need to do is maybe add a small delay (0.2-0.5 secs) if they are triggered midair, or possibly just reduce radius on detpipes so they're always default.

4. chaingun - extra damage mode is kinda boring

5. rocket launcher - team fortress direct hit rockets, travel faster and do more damage but have much less radius

6. BFG - have sticky and slide bfg balls on different modes.

7. Railgun - bouncy railgun?! would replace snipe mode, still has more damage potential if you can hit a single target with multiple bounces, would need to be offset somehow of course (ammo cost, less dmg whatever)

Just figured secondary mode has more potential to be explored.

Blaster: sounds interesting
HG: don't know how that would be different than now
Detpipes: no
Chaingun: extra dmg is fine
RL: no
BFG: good idea
Railgun: absolutely not
Grape
Grape
Admin

https://newvortex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  apple Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:01 am

lol, thanks :p

Keep in mind that I don't want to just throw random ideas out there, if you can elaborate as much as possible on what you think of each of them. I guess the priority would be somewhere along the lines of:

1. Would it be fun?
2. Does it sound horribly broken?

apple

Back to top Go down

Post  Grape Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:01 pm

I'll try to conjure up some ideas for this post in the next few days. Yes, it will take me a while to think of stuff.
Grape
Grape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grape Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:47 pm

I'm still thinking. Give me a few weeks.
Grape
Grape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  WhoRu Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:18 am

NOOOO!!!! Not the blaster secondary!!

(I created an account just for this)

After a long Hiatus of Life getting in the way, I see fit to return to the Vortex...
To find it in shambles. But out of the ruins, a new society emerges. As long as it keeps the blaster 2ndary Twisted Evil

I had a whole build solely around it.
It was
MegamanX
It was corny and cheesy, but it was surprisingly effective. The fully charged blaster's damage multiplier could make quick of high lvl spree'ers.

It even had it's own Unique rune. The Bug Zapper. something like 10 dmg 5 speed 5 bounce. I had it one time.

I just found New Vortex, and it looks promising!

Hopefully you can get this game running like the Golden Age of Vortex was...

Man I feel old reminiscing about that.
Vortex was before I moved out, got married, and bought a house.

WhoRu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down