New Vortex Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New vortex eh?

4 posters

Go down

New vortex eh? Empty New vortex eh?

Post  Jordan Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Pretty cool. If you want a non-ghetto site just buy the .com and I'll host it for you. I don't know why you guys are making it on Q2 again. Why not move to something that might actually attract some newbs?

EDIT: Also, following my post over at project-vortex.com, since I bought the domain for project-vortex.com I'd be willing to let you guys use it (at no charge of course) as long as GHz doesn't get mad at me.

Jordan

Back to top Go down

New vortex eh? Empty Re: New vortex eh?

Post  Grape Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:27 pm

We will keep that in mind. I would rather see this game up and running and well tested first before we start looking at web hosting.
Grape
Grape
Admin

https://newvortex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jordan Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:33 pm

I feel ya. Let me know. I'll drop by from time to time to see how things are going. I wish you guys would abandon q2 and go somewhere newer with vortex, but it's nice to see it live on in any form.

Jordan

Back to top Go down

Post  apple Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:55 pm

qfusion is on the list of engines to port it on, which, as far as I know is easy to port over.

apple

Back to top Go down

Post  Jordan Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:01 pm

Awesome. Just glad to see vortex isn't stagnating. Hows GHz taking the fork? I'd probably be pretty mad if I was him, then again, it's probably better to not have all his work go to waste.

I've always hoped that the new Vortex would end up being based off of TF2. I know it sounds silly at first, but they already have bot code, gameplay modes, sentries, etc. Just seems like a good match.

Jordan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jordan Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:30 pm

I can't help but feel bad for GHz though. You guys really did sort of steal vortex. Was this really the best alternative? Maybe he would have let you work on it if you hadn't run off and started a new fork.

Jordan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kild Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:38 pm

GHz is gone for 2 months and the website was down for a week and a half. I'd love to hear an alternative. Also, GHz required any changes to go through him and I doubt he'd like A* to be tweaked and combat removed.

Kild

Back to top Go down

Post  Jordan Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:52 pm

Well, the website has nothing to do with GHz or vortex really. I'm rather poor, and I got kicked off my webhost for consuming like half a terabyte in a month. So that downtime was in-between time before I got my new VPS set up. I just feel bad, ya know? I'm surprised you don't too. This just all seems a bit underhanded, even if it is sort of nice to see vortex get in to a new stage of growth. It's like kidnapping a child you claim to care about so you can bend it to your vision of who it should be. But it's GHz's kid. Neutral I dunno, after sleeping on it and reading GHz email I just can't bring myself to help you guys. If you want to redeem yourself, try bringing your modded version to ghz and see if he can absorb any of your changes. Try to be coders on the official version of vortex, rather then starting your own. Why bother? We already have a site and a forum, and a domain. And GHz has a place to host the server.

If you really care about vortex then help the official version instead of fracturing what's left of the community and stepping on the toes of one of the creators.

EDIT: And I mean, lets face it. A game based off Quake 2 (or any of the engines based off of Quake 2) isn't going to have much lifespan left. I'd be surprised if you guys ever had a full server, or even much more then the few people working on dev at the moment. If you were to work with GHz I bet you'd get more of a playerbase for your changes.

Jordan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kild Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:04 pm

You just don't get it I suppose. GHz admits to not even having the time or resolution to work on this anymore. He didn't even have time to PLAY when he did code. He'd hop on his 20 medic 20 salv 20 vit Medic and nerf anything that raped him. He exclusively plays "camper" classes and nothing else. He tried playing an engineer once and wanted to beef them like crazy because he thought they were too weak. So he has very little time to code, very little drive, and doesn't even play his own creation. That's why I simply stated on your forums that he should finally settle down and play his creation or "kid." The code was more like a child who ran away after years of neglect and abuse to his friends house. He's stayed at his friends house and came to the conclusion of playing with his father.

Kild

Back to top Go down

Post  Jordan Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:07 pm

I don't really think your comparison is apt. Why does GHz not having time to fix things mean you have to fork vortex? Couldn't you have just all demanded that he let you start working on the official version? The child didn't run away, it was cloned and kidnapped. Razz I dunno guys, obviously you're big boys you can do what you want, I'm just saying it's grimy. I really was hoping you guys would reconsider and try to work with GHz on old vortex, because you did legitimately steal years of work from him. If you feel alright with that, and that's how you want to start this project, then so be it. Why not start coding vortex from scratch on a new fangled engine so it might actually have a chance at a playerbase? Seems like stealing the q2 version of it is just ... silly.

Jordan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kild Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:13 pm

We're planning on porting it to Qfusion as an open-source standalone game similar to Tremulous. There's minimal work to port it to that from what R1CH, Echon and others have said. It has nearly the same physics with Quake3 features such as better models, textures etc.

Couldn't you have just all demanded that he let you start working on the official version?
That was done. Apple worked on vortex and every change had to go through GHz whether or not GHz even understood the change.

We know it was grimy, we all feel bad. We didn't want to do this - but it was inevitable. It took Apple about a week to even consider it.

e: We even gave GHz access to "New Vortex." He has our current source at all times - it's up to him what to do with it.

Kild

Back to top Go down

Post  Jordan Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:21 pm

Well, good luck to you guys. I hope it all ends up being worth it. And by that I mean, I hope you end up with a playerbase. Somehow I don't think that's going to happen though. I think you guys are going to put in a lot of work to make the vortex you hoped it'd always be, and it will just be as empty as always, now with the added bonus of burning all your bridges to old vortex. I'll check back from time to time though, as I am somewhat intrigued by Q3-ish vortex.

Jordan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kild Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:24 pm

What bridge did we have?

e: How about we talk in realtime instead of posts Razz - Join IRC

Kild

Back to top Go down

Post  Grape Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:05 pm

So Ghz can read access to the code, can he not have write access because his changes are usually weird and come from right field without consulting the community first.
Grape
Grape
Admin

https://newvortex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down